Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sweet April showers do spring May flowers

I have been obsessed with flowers this spring.  Ok, well, every spring.  I've shopped for them, I've planted them, I'm photographed them, I've searched for fabrics that have them.  Basically I've emptied my bank account in pursuit of them!  So it was just a natural progression that I would eventually just start making them.  I love the idea that you can take a simple outfit and add a bit of whimsy with a flower in your hair, on your lapel, on your purse, on your belt or on your shoes!   

Warning: please do not attempt to do all of these at once.  Sometimes it's hard to know when to stop, but thankfully I have Eliz who has already agreed to stage a floral intervention should I show up one day looking like I got dressed in my garden.  I recommend one flower per outfit.  A dozen roses may be pretty, but they belong in a vase.


First and foremost, pick out your fabrics.  I used tulle, organza, silk, satin, lace and even a lightweight broadcloth.  Since I wanted to use a variety of fabrics in a variety of colors but didn't not want to spend my paycheck buying everything, I scoured the remnant section of my local fabric store, got a killer deal on the last of the fabrics in the Walmart section (they are closing these sections so everything is on clearance) and looked for remnant lots on eBay.  I love the thrill of the hunt and I find that my creativity is really pushed when I have to work with the fabrics I find on sale.  Plus it's just fun to experiment!  I ended up with a variety pinks, blacks, golds, greens and whites for less than $10 total.

Next I headed to the bead store, I am lucky enough to live down the street from The Beaded Venus.  This is where I had to be careful because I could very easily have spent 3x as much money on the beads as I did the fabric.  Buying from a local bead store is nice because you can purchase individual beads so you only buy what you need.  But keep in mind that even $0.20 a bead adds up.  Plenty of other crafts stores sell a nice selection of beads and a basic off white will work for most flowers.

Start cutting out your fabric.  You can cut it out in flower shapes, in circles, in squares, be creative!

Then lightly singe the edges of the fabric with a candle.  You can do each piece individually or a couple of pieces at a time.  This serves two purposes: it stops the fabric from fraying and it gently curls the edges of your fabric creating that petal look.  Experiment here too.  Cutting out different shapes will produce different effects, tulle & organza curl up quickly, silk, satin & lace take a little longer.  Try snipping cuts around the edge of your fabric to get a more curly look,  or heat the middle of the fabric ever so slightly to give it more texture, it will create a pin-tuck effect. Just have fun with it but don't burn yourself.  And I suggest doing this in a well ventilated area.  Some fabrics burn sweetly and some are just horrid!



Once you have your "petals," begin layering them however you like.  Mix up sizes, mix up fabrics, mix up colors until you have beautiful blossoms in front of you.  Then take a needle and thread, and a few beads, and sew the beads in the middle of your flower, sew through all the layers of fabric and knot your thread in the back.  Attach hair pins, hair clips, safety pins or whatever to the back so that you can secure it to your shirt, jacket, purse, etc.  I even used a couple of antique scarf pins that I inherited from my grandmother. 


Congratulations, you are officially addicted to fabric flowers.  Remember, these also make great gifts!!   Here are some of my first attempts:





Lastly, here are some cute ideas for how to beautify yourself with your fabulous fabric flowers:

No comments:

Post a Comment